Tag: seedlings

Astrophytum coahuilense x ornatum germination!

My experiment was a success! The seeds are viable and the first one germinated today, 5 days after sowing. Pretty much all cactus seedlings look like this when they first germinate, so it’s still way too early to tell if they’re a hybrid of my Astrophytum coahuilense and ornatum. It will probably be at least 4-5 months, maybe even a year before you can properly spot the difference between these hybrids and “purebred” ornatum or coahuilense.

First, let’s just see if they actually survive the tiny seedling stage.

My Astrophytum ornatum grew seeds!

I haven’t checked on the Astrophytum ornatum for a few days, so I only just noticed that its seed pod popped open and the seeds were almost spilling out. I didn’t want to harvest them too early, so I just left the pod on the plant and forgot about it. Now they’re definitely ready to be planted!

The seeds are supposed to be a hybrid of Astrophytum ornatum and Astrophytum coahuilense, but I’m not sure how that works or if this hybrid has a name. Coahuilense x Ornatum maybe? I don’t know, the seedlings may just all end up looking like regular Astroptytum ornatum when they’re older.

I washed the seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes and planted them all at once. If the seeds are fertile, they should germinate very soon!

Pseudolithos migiurtinus and P. cubiformis, 3 months old

4 Pseudolithos seedlings are still alive. I planted some of them together to save space and they didn’t seem to mind being carefully repotted anyway. One of them is a Pseudolithos cubiformis (top right in the first photo) and the rest are P. migiurtinus.
The little bubbles have started to show on top of most of the seedlings. It will be a while before they’re completely covered in frog-like skin, but right now they’re so cute!

Adenium obesum, 3,5 months old

It’s been a couple of weeks since I cut the tap roots on my Adenium obesum seedlings. Most of them are doing okay, especially this one seedling. This one had a lot of feeder roots after the cut, so it was able to drink almost like it used to. The other seedlings still need a bit of rest before I do anything too drastic to them.
As you can see, I also pruned the branches on some of the seedlings, including this one. I’m trying to make them grow more branches as well as help the caudex grow thicker. It seems like it’s working, too. This seedling almost immediately grew two branches after I cut the one it started with. When these two branches grow tall enough, I’ll pinch them and watch the plant grow even more branches. This one is going to be magnificent!

Adenium obesum repotting and root trimming

My tiny 3 months old Adenium obesum seedlings needed new pots because I wanted to make sure they didn’t have too much room for root growth. If you leave these in a tall pot, chances are that the plant will put too much energy into vertical root growth and it will end up tall and lanky. I’m experimenting a bit, too. Some people cut off the tap root and train the remaining roots to grow near the surface of the soil. There so many cool pictures of bonsai-like Adenium with roots growing in all directions around the base of the plant and I want one of those! So I removed the tap roots from some of my seedlings, making sure to leave a few feeder roots behind. My plants are still very small and wouldn’t last long without water.

Stapelia grandiflora, 3,5 years old

A pic before and after a nice pot upgrade. I realized that it’s been a while since they were last repotted. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a pic of their roots, but I can tell you that they were a tangled mess. The soil started drying out very quickly after a watering and that was my queue to find a bigger pot. It was a bit of a massacre because the roots had attached themselves to the inside of the old pot and a knife was involved in the process. One of the Stapelia branches nearly broke off as well. I think they’re doing okay, though.

Pseudolithos migiurtinus, 2 months

A few bubbles have appeared on the surface of my 2 months old Pseudolithos migiurtinus seedling. They’re so tiny! Right now I let the soil (diatomaceous earth) dry out for a day or two before I water again. They’re getting direct indoor sunlight for most of the day now and they seem to be able to handle it just fine. I guess my windows filter out most of the harmful rays. They’re still blushing a little bit, but that just means they’re healthy.