Tag: repotting

Repotting my Bear’s Paw

I think maybe it was time to repot my Cotyledon tomentosa (Bear’s paw). I bought it a couple of years ago when it was a lot smaller and I never really got around to changing its pot. It looked kind of cozy in its old pot, but the root ball had filled out every inch on the inside. What looks like a pot in the first picture is actually the root ball.

Cotyledon tomentosa are usually a bit of a hassle to repot. They don’t sting you like cactus – they’re actually very soft and fluffy – but the leaves break off if you even think about touching them. This one wasn’t very hard to repot, though. I only had to stick a finger up the drainage hole of the pot and that loosened the whole root ball in one go. I had to break the root ball up, just a tiny bit, to make sure there was enough surface area to help them grow outwards into the fresh, new soil. This time I added a lot more organic potting soil. They must have been starving as the old soil (there wasn’t much left) couldn’t have contained that many nutrients, even after I fertilized it.

It now lives in a slightly larger pot until it outgrows it. Maybe I shouldn’t wait another two years this time.

Having a Hoya day

Today was the day of Hoyas in my home. I just received this plant stand (from IKEA) and thought it would be perfect for the Hoyas. I wanted to free up the window sills a bit and since Hoya don’t usually like being in direct sunlight all day, I thought it would be best to bring some of them a tiny bit further away from the windows. It looks so cool! Now they’re free to climb all over my walls too.

It’s been 1 year and 6 months since I bought this Hoya pubicalyx “royal Hawaiian purple” (hard to believe that it only had 6 leaves at the time!) and I haven’t repotted it at all until today.

The little pot dried out very quickly after every watering because the roots had pushed most of the dirt out of the pot and there was nothing left to keep any moisture inside. I had a lot of trouble loosening the plant from the sides of the pot. Some of the roots had attached themselves to the sides of the pot and I had to pull hard on the compacted root ball to loosen it.

This time I added a lot more organic potting soil to the mix. Hopefully it will recover in no time and grow even faster.

Repotting day!

It’s repotting day for my cactus seedlings, Gymnocalycium mihanovichii and Sulcorebutia rauschii. My cactus seedlings and the Sulcorebutia should have been repotted a long time ago, even though they seem to be thriving in their way too small pots.

I chose to keep the three biggest cactus seedlings and send the rest off towards someone who might want to adopt them. All of them have been potted in pure Diatomaceous earth cat litter with no potting soil. That way, they’re easy to repot next time, and there’s very little reason to worry about root rot and overwatering.

Just gotta say.. when you mess with spiny cacti, remember to wear gloves or use a tong. Not just your hands. Let’s just say it’s very difficult and painful to remove broken cactus spines from the soft skin under your nails.

Repotted my Astrophytum Ornatum

Just spent some quality time with my new A. Ornatum while repotting him in a more fitting non-organic medium. The solid block of peat moss around the roots would have made it impossible to properly water him.
It took half an hour (and 3 spines up my nails) to remove the soil, but the finished result was definitely worth it.

Current medium: 70% moler clay and 30% 3-4 mm. aquarium gravel.