They’re getting kind of big, but there’s still lots of room in the pot. I may need to divide them next spring when they’re less thirsty.
I had to repot my poor Gibbaeum seedlings and add a tiny bit of peat to the mix. The aquarium sand mix dried out too quickly (within a few hours) and the poor guys didn’t drink fast enough, so they ended up as a wrinkly mess.
Now they’re all happy and puffy again!
One perfect seedling and one.. uh..
The good news is that they’re now acting exactly like they should do this time of year. A few of them still have 3 leaf pairs after my unfortunate rain storm accident, but the outer leaves are slowly drying up.
The Monilaria seedlings are getting slightly aggressive and rip the old leaves cleanly in half to make room for more growth. I’ve never seen any plant thrive like this!
Two of the bigger seedlings are dividing and spitting out 3 new sets of leaves instead of just one! That happened much earlier than I expected.
I managed to keep the temperature at around 5° C on my closed balcony during frosty nights by preventing draft and moving the greenhouse frame further away from the glass panels. Unless the temperature drops dramatically, they will be able to handle being outside all winter.
Luckily, the Danish winter is more wet than cold.
Don’t get too close to the Tiger’s Jaw fangs, or you’ll lose a finger.
Has anyone ever wondered what its real body looks like under the gravel?
Happy Halloween, fellow succulent fanatics!
As soon as I put the Monilaria seedlings “outside” on my closed balcony and let them experience the autumn temperatures (day: 10-12° C, night: 4-5° C), they started growing like nothing I’ve seen before. And they’re so thirsty!
I need to find a way to protect them next week, when the temperature falls below freezing at night.
The Gibs haven’t grown an awful lot since the last update, but I haven’t had a single casualty yet!
I water whenever they start to shrivel up and leave them in the brightest window to soak up some rays. So far so good.
I keep telling myself that the’re just about to split and reveal their second set of leaves. It’s hard to spot, but the two Dorotheae seedlings (top right and bottom left) have split a tiny bit.
Still alive, guys! I kept them outside, right until they were hit by a heavy rain storm a week ago. They’re going to stack (have more than 2 leaf pairs at the same time), but on the bright side, all of the little wrinkles filled out nicely.
A dry winter should correct them, though.