A pic before and after a nice pot upgrade. I realized that it’s been a while since they were last repotted. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a pic of their roots, but I can tell you that they were a tangled mess. The soil started drying out very quickly after a watering and that was my queue to find a bigger pot. It was a bit of a massacre because the roots had attached themselves to the inside of the old pot and a knife was involved in the process. One of the Stapelia branches nearly broke off as well. I think they’re doing okay, though.
I may need to repot these before they take over the whole bonsai pot. They’re humongous! The tallest one is just about 15 cm tall and 2 cm wide.
I noticed something odd about my Stapelia seedlings. Some of the little pups grew 6 ribs instead of the usual 4. Not sure how common that is, but it certainly doesn’t make these babies less adorable.
I’m pretty pleased about how the Stapelias are turning out. None of them turned leggy this winter, but they look a bit worn out. That’s why I decided to water them for the first time in months.
The Stapelia seedlings have grown much bigger since the last update. My 5 little plants have turned into 9.
Stapelia Grandiflora, 11 months
All plants except the hidden one in the back are growing little base pups!
I’m gonna end up with hundres of these.
My Monadenium cuttings started producing offshoots beneath the ground, ruining the appearance of my little garden (very quickly realized that the roots had travelled to the opposite side of the planter as well), so I had to replace them with a different type of plant.
The Stapelia seemed like an obvious choice – at least until they outgrow the little landscape. They probably should have been transferred to a bigger planter months ago anyway.
In this planter: Euphorbia Obesa (1 year + 5 months old), Stapelia Grandiflora (9 months old), Lophophora Williamsii (1 year + 7 months old) and a Frithia Pulchra
The little side shoot buddy is doing great. Gotta love the one that started to twirl as well :3
The first little side shoot appeared a few days ago. They’re getting big so fast!
The Stapelia seedlings have been pretty easy to take care of so far. At the moment I’m watering once every week or so, when they start to wrinkle.