Some of my plants have started blooming, including my seed grown 3 year old Mammillaria plumosa v. roseiflora. It’s gorgeous! More flowers are on the way, too. It’s growing its first pink flower crown.
It’s officially spring when the Robinia tree opens its first leaves after a good dormancy period! I’m happy it didn’t just die. It looked pretty sad and bare all winter, especially after I discovered that bad spider mite infestation, that I was able to remove with bug spray.
Yesterday I visited my local forest on a sunny day to get some much needed fresh air and sunshine. I’m lucky, I’m not in quarantine (yet) because of a certain rampant virus, so now is the time to enjoy being outdoors. (Edit: I was there alone, so don’t worry, there was no risk of spreading the virus or getting infected). The sound of woodpeckers was everywhere. It’s been years since I last heard that sound and of course that inspired me to do another painting. This time, I only used a spatula to give it a rougher look. I think it turned out okay, even though I still need some practice.
Today was the first clear night in months. My succulents have enjoyed a whole day of sunlight, protected from wind behind glass panes on my balcony. The built up heat allowed me to stay out there to watch my solar powered lights turn on. They don’t light up much, but my Aloe vera seems to enjoy it. It made for a nice picture, too.
Only 3 seeds are going to germinate out of 5, it seems. But that’s okay if at least one seedling survives the seedling stage. That one seedling in the middle needs a miracle, I think. It germinated and lost its shell too early, which resulted in a sun (grow light) burn on one side. The other side is still nice and green.
The Adenium obesum seedlings are blushing in the sunlight! Most of them are staying pretty compact after I placed them in my window with full sun. They’re growing fatter at a nice pace, too. Some of the seedlings have started to grow their second set of leaves already.
I accidentally ordered way too much pink acrylic paint and had to think of ways to use the three tubes I received. One of the first ideas I had was to make a cute little painting of a robin in a cherry blossom tree. It worked out well, I think. Unfortunately, I still have three entire tubes of pink paint left.
Acrylic paint, 30×40 cm canvas.
My name is Helle and I’m a Danish graphic designer.
I love to paint plants/nature and grow succulents and houseplants in my apartment. This is a blog about exactly that.
If you want to see more of my artwork, here’s a link to my website (Danish).