I took this picture during a very pretty and short-lived sunset. The lighting is magnificent! I’m currently in quarantine and won’t be able to leave my apartment for the next couple of days, so I get to spend more time with my plants. Not too bad with a view like this.
My 4 year old, seed grown Mammillaria plumosa decided to bloom on New Year’s day, which was also the first sunny day we’ve had for the last couple of months. This better be a sign that 2021 will be the year, we all hope for.
My Selenicereus grandiflorus seedlings are now 6 months old! A couple of them didn’t survive, but those who did are looking pretty good. Right now none of my plants are getting enough sunlight. Winter in Denmark is always dark and cloudy and plants all over the country are suffering from etiolation. These seedlings do look like they’re ever so slightly etiolated, but not too much.
I still keep the Selenicereus seedlings slightly moist, but sometimes let the soil dry out for a couple of days if I forget to water.
Sorry for the lack of updates! I’ve been taking care of myself and my mental health for the last couple of months in the middle of this pandemic and this blog is less of a priority for me. I’m doing good, though, and I can’t wait to show you more plant pics and seedling updates next year.
I really do hope you’re taking care of yourselves, too.
The pics above are this year’s homemade Christmas presents for my mom and brother. Standing in line in a crowded store to buy what they could just buy themselves is so last year!
I’m taking a bit of a break from blogging, making sure I go outside as much as I can. Gotta take in that tiny bit of sunlight before it goes away in winter. A walk in the forest by the beach with my brother was the inspiration for this painting.
Acrylics on 40×30 cm canvas
This is how my Caladium hybrid looks when I return home from work and I forgot to give it a morning drink. The first image is basically a Caladium in ultra thirsty drama queen mode. Luckily, it returns to happy very quickly after I water it. The two pictures were taken only an hour apart.
This plant really thrives on my living room table. It looks so different from when I bought it in July! For some reason it hasn’t gone dormant yet. I don’t think it’s cold and dark enough indoors, so I might have to place it on the balcony in winter to make sure it sprouts again in spring.
A lot of my Monilaria died off this summer. I’m not sure exactly what happened. All I have left is this one. It recently woke up from summer dormancy and is sprouting this year’s first bunny ears, so I’ve started to water it again. I’m going to experiment with the fertilizer I use for my Hoyas to see if I can get it to bloom. This year may be my last chance.
Not much has happened sizewise, but I managed to capture a better pic of my small Bear Paw seedlings with a macro lens. I’m no longer growing these under grow lights because the sun is currently shining and they looked like they needed some air. The airflow in the closet I use as a grow chamber isn’t the best. When I fertilize the small seedlings for the first time, mold starts to grow on the surface of the soil.
I wonder when they’ll grow their first set of true leaves.
I caught a pic of my succulents in the warm afternoon sunlight. This is such a beautiful corner of my balcony.
I have thought about experimenting with growing my plants in semi hydroponics for a while now. It’s supposed to work well with Hoyas, but I recently changed their soil and didn’t want to stress them too much, so I went with the next best thing – my Adenium arabicum. This one have always had a bit of trouble growing new feeder roots after a heavy handed repot. Maybe the new, fine roots couldn’t find their way through the fresh soil and they just decided to not grow at all. This makes it a good candidate for semi hydroponics. Apparently, even caudiciforms, like Adenium, like to grow freely in Leca and water instead of soil. Semi hydroponics is basically water therapy for plants. The roots grow straight down into a reservoir of water with nutrients and you never let it dry completely.
How I’m doing it.
The first thing I did was to clean the roots. It took a while to remove every single piece of soil and clay, even with most of the roots gone from the last repotting session, but I think I got it all in the end. If I accidentally leave a piece of dirt in there, it may end up causing root rot.
I decided to use a plastic nursery pot and a transparent glass reservoir, so I know how high the water level is inside the plastic pot. I decided to keep the water level low at first, because Leca will act as a wick and transport water to the roots. Right now I don’t know how well my setup works. I just want to avoid causing harm to the roots before they get used to growing in Leca and water instead of soil.
I decided to order a set with 3 different kinds of fertilizer, specifically made for a semi hydroponic setup. I think they’re called Micro, Grow and Bloom. Leca doesn’t have any nutrients in it, so I’ll have to carefully monitor how much to add and when to do so. All of this is basically an exciting experiment for me. I’ve never done anything like this before.
I’ll make sure to keep you updated on my new project. Maybe it will end up being a huge project with different types of plants. Or maybe it will kill my Adenium. Only time will tell.